Monday, September 21, 2009

Autumn


Blessings Gentle Readers...

I awoke this morning to the realization that autumn is upon us. Then I laughed thinking about how hot it continues to be and how much rain we've received! When I think of autumn, I think of crisp leaves underfoot, cool evenings, misty mornings and the lovely smell of Fall.

But when one considers the change of seasons and the celebration of the Autumnal Equinox, somehow the internal senses take over and one can feel and smell easily what is missing in the physical. I close my eyes and I can see the wandering paths in my native Massachusetts. I can feel the maple leaves and enjoy the beautiful reds, yellows and oranges of the leaves. I breathe in and smell the moist air thick with the mossy smell of Fall. What joy it brings!

As a Celtic Pagan, I celebrate this time of year. It is a time of finding balance, celebrating the abundance of our Earth Mother, and the lives of those who have passed ahead of us.

Why balance? Because without balance our lives become futile expressions of angst and negativity. We struggle with the every day and fail to move forward. Balance brings us the joy of this life and the faith that the circle of life continues for us all.

Why our Mother's abundance? Because without Her provision, we perish. She provides us with our basics of food, shelter and clothing. But She also provides us with family, friends, and fellowship. The harvest is great and not necessarily material. Our Mother shows us the way of Spirit and that, in itself, is great abundance.

And why of the passing of the dead? Because during this time, the veil between the two worlds of the living and the dead is at its thinnest. It is an opportunity for us to commune with our ancestors, asking for guidance. Our Elders who pass before peer over the veil and offer us great wisdom. Now is the time to receive it.

So, for me, this is a time of great celebration. I receive balance in the balance of night and day. I receive abundance from Mother Earth, the great Goddess. And I receive wisdom from the Elders who have passed before me.

Dear friends, open your minds and hearts to receive all that Spirit has for you. And open yourself to give back to Goddess for all She has provided.

Blessed Be!

No comments: